Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Misadventures in Car Legalizing

Recently, I was fortunate enough to find a car within my price range. This came as a blessing, because I will be needed a car to travel to the schools I will observe at and the one at which I will complete my student teaching. However, I had no idea of knowing that this would be a larger hassle than I originally planned.

I bought the car last Friday and hoped I could be on the road shortly after. That plan, however, proved to be harder than expected. When I tried to start my car the next morning (Saturday), the battery was dead. Yes, dead. I could not start it for the life of me. So my dad had to come out and test the battery, just to make sure. You see, the guy who owned my car before me had rigged up some switches for the A/C and the cooling fan, so we worried it was those switches. That's when we discovered I had a 3 year guarantee from Wal-Mart. So we got the battery replaced. Albeit too late to do anything like getting an inspection that day.

Monday rolls around, and I plan to get an early start on my car. So I take my car to the local Firestone to get an inspection. Which the car fails. However, I would later find that some of the things "wrong" with the car are not actually wrong, or they weren't when I took the car in. For instance, a bolt was broken off the front right wheel. The break was rather fresh...

So I took it to the place that sold it to me and they fixed it, for free. He even fixed the problem I had with the cooling fan switch. It turns out there are still people who keep their word. Since the owner of the shop promised it would work fine, he said he would take care of it. Thus, it was taken care of.

Wednesday rolls around, and my car is ready to be inspected again. This is when I find out that the left break light was missed when things were being fixed. No problem, I just took it back an it was done. So, I hope on I-70 and head to Odessa to get my insurance taken care of. At least that was the idea when I find I'm headed in the opposite direction! Lesson in this, it's a pain to get back onto the highway you just got off of if you want to turn around.

On my way to Odessa, I am reminded that many people are crazy behind the wheel. I was passing an entrance ramp. At the time I had a SUV on my left, a full-size car in front of me, and another SUV behind me. A car decided to get onto the highway. No problem, that's what we do when we drive. However, he tried to merge while I could not get out of his way! He didn't seem to notice I was there at all! Fortunately, just enough space for my little Chevy Cavalier to slip through. (Thank You GOD! If I didn't have You in my Life, I don't know what I'd do.)

I make it safe and sound to Odessa. I get my insurance with no problem and get directions to Lexington where I am getting my tags. I make it to Lexington, 15 minutes too late to make it to the licensing beau. So I have to make my way back to Independence and get up early to get my tags before I work.

No comments: