Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Content Ahoy!

About a month ago I was in the process of applying for a content writer position that I really wanted. I sent in my resume, a strong cover letter tailored to the position and company, plus the four writing samples they had asked for. It was a position that didn't require experience and I thought that was my in. I was thrilled when they asked for an additional writing sample. In fact, I was on Cloud 9! They were taking me seriously! That's when things fell apart.

I sent in the writing sample. I was told I would be contacted. I kept sending weekly reminders. Silence was my only reply. I didn't know what to do. In fact, I nearly gave up on the job completely.

That's when it happened. This same company reposted the content writer job. The exact same job that fell through for me appeared again. I was unsure at first. Should I take that leap again into the arms of a company that had just recently left me hanging? The answer was yes.

The contact person had changed for this opening. I had thought that maybe the original contact person had become too busy to actively recruit for this job.When I carefully read the description again, I saw that the contact person was not the same person as before. So, throwing caution to the wind, I applied again!

This time they were only asking for two writing samples, so I sent what I believed to be my strongest sample, plus the one I created for them before. I decided to be a bit more aggressive this time. I sent a follow-up e-mail stating that I had already been through a portion of this process already, who my contact was, and what had happened. I seriously want this job, so I am serious about how I apply and pursue this job.

It seemed to pay off, I got a reply. This reply, however, was unexpected due to the content. I was again asked for a writing sample, with the exact same details as before. I could have taken the easy route and simply replied that I had already done this, and whatever, but I didn't. I wrote a new sample from scratch. I took the time, made sure the new sample is was as polished as possible.

This is when I took yet another calculated risk. When I submitted the new writing sample, I let my new contact know I had already submitted one for the other contact, but this one was brand new. I'm actually rather proud of this one, I think it is a lot better than the original.
Pictured: #Winning


Then I went for the kicker. I went there, in person, with three new writing samples I wrote just for them. I was confident. I was pumped! I was rejected. 

And repeat...

That's right. I went through all that time, effort, and energy to simply be shot down quicker than frat boys by a bar waitress. They kindly took my new samples* and sent me on my merry way. I walked away feeling a bit down.


So what's an unemployed, creative writer-type to do? I kept my head high and moved on. So this one company doesn't hire me. Someone will or freelancing with go on to be something more than it is now. Heck, my networking is already paying off and I should have new contacts with a major company within the week, so, sweetness!

Also, looking a pictures of
puppies helps. Here's one!

All in all, I say it was a good experience. Sure, I am still unemployed, but oh well, I don't have to stay that way forever and I learned from this. I gained confidence from this. I learned that tenacity pays off, even if it doesn't land you the job. I got a company to take me seriously. If anything, I took a major step forward. And so can you.

On a happier note, I've been pairing up with City Union Mission a bit recently. Most of what I do is some minor editing, but I also wrote a little something for them.

*I had physical copies which had, and I quote, "great formatting." 

No comments: